Established in 2000, the Hackney Music Service is part of the Hackney Education and is the lead partner in the Hackney Music Service Network, the Music Education Hub for the borough.
Mission statement and objectives
Hackney Music Service provides inspirational opportunities to schools, children and young people for lifelong learning through high quality, motivational, sustained and progressive musical experiences, and through structured and creative music-making including: singing; learning an instrument; ensemble playing and performing. Our vision is that music becomes a ‘normal’ and universally accessible activity to all children and young people in Hackney.
We aspire to ensure a quality provision, which will help to promote high standards of vocal and instrumental music throughout the borough. Our aim is that music provision in Hackney is recognised as a medium which strongly supports the cultural, social and educational achievement and development of young people, which is inherent in the arts, as well as for its contribution to the development of transferable skills: communication, self-expression, problem solving, creative thinking, team building and an awareness of individual and collective responsibility. We strive to ensure that our provision offers opportunities for music-making within a safe environment that enables children and young people to enjoy full participation and engagement and achieve their full potential.
Our main objectives are to:
- Sustain and enrich existing music provision
- Increase access to instrumental and vocal musical opportunities
- Provide breadth in all musical programmes
- Seek to offer wider opportunities for ensemble music making activities in the borough
- Create performance opportunities for young people in groups, choirs, ensembles and orchestras
- Bring live music performances into schools
- Work with high quality professional partners, including workshop leaders and community musicians
- Support musical pathways and progression routes for talented young people
- Contribute towards the overall raising achievement agenda
We believe that music is a powerful force in helping to transform people’s lives. Through access to top quality teaching and learning, we aim to deliver, sustain and promote high standards of vocal and instrumental music in our schools, and help to improve the educational outcomes of children and young people.
A finalist in the Rhinegold National Music Education Awards 2013 for Music Hub Innovation, the Hackney Music Service Network places the needs of children and young people at the heart of everything we do through following agreed values and guiding principles.